Room widget - image binding not availible

I am using with homeassistant and a samsung galaxy tab A. When i go to bind a photo to a room widget, the only options it allows me to bind to are home assistant objects. If i try to select a backdrop though, it will work as normal and allow me to select any image on my device or google drive.

@czoog Thanks for reporting an issue and welcome to the community!

Local images picker is supported only for dashboard backdrop at the moment.
This functionality is planned. I will update when available.

1 Like

thanks @igor ! So my best bet for now is to use a text based config to get this functionality?

I don’t think it would be possible in text-based config, since it wouldn’t know about local on-device images. If I understood you correctly.

right, but i could point it to a accessible url on somthing like google photos?

yes, definitely, any public url would work in text-based config.
I would recommend as temporary workaround instead of using text-based config, to use export configuration from Settings, then modify .json file manually, and import it back. This way ability to edit dashboard through UI will be preserved.
Let me know if you have any problem with doing that.

Great idea! Thanks Igor. BTW this app is really great! I am deploying it on my 3 wall tablets!

1 Like

My pleasure!
Very glad to hear that you are going to use it on your devices. Do let us know about any future feedback you will have.

Hi Igor, I’ve just migrated from OH to HASS and noticed this problem.

In OH, I was able to use any string item to pull a URL to an image.

However, in HASS, I’m trying to use something similar (text helper item) but it doesn’t appear in the selection options to bind. Any chance this can be fixed in the future?

Thanks!

P.S. On a separate, but related note, it does show RTSP integration items, but none of them work in the room widget. The RTSP integration items are working in other widgets.

@Roy_L By text helper item, do you mean “input_text” component or something else?

Yes, Room widget does not support a “streaming” video like RTSP, only image-based snapshots or streams like MJPEG (without live-stream in UI).

Are you just trying to have a camera snapshot in Room widget?
If your URL is static, you can use Image integration that allows any image URL - that would be then selectable in Room widget.

1 Like

Yes, I meant “input_text”

Image Integration is exactly what I needed. Thanks Igor!

Great, glad that helps.

As far as input_text, it is not supported yet since it would need a widget that would allow to set a text for it to be usable. HA used to have weblink component that was great for static URLs (and was supported) but it was removed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.