Rotini Legacy to HomeHabit Journey

This is a screenshot of what my main dashboard looks like in the old Rotini legacy app…
I’ll use this topic to keep a track of my journey to get something similar in the HomeHabit app…

UPDATE
A bit of trial and error and I’ve figured out the best layout for my LG tablet mounted on the wall is going to be 5 columns by 7 rows… And a quick mockup in OneNote for me to aim for…

UPDATE
Looks like the media widget doesn’t look so good in my testing so made it a bit smaller and gave me room for a couple more widgets…

UPDATE : 20th Oct 2018
Okay have wasted enough time on this today :slight_smile:
Gonna venture outside for a while…

I’ve made some good progress quite quickly which is awesome. Just a few issues I need to try resolve…

• Ideally Scene widgets should show the label at the top when the sty;e is “mode”.
  • My decimal numbers are too big and about the same size as the whole numbers.
  • Webcam images would look better “stretched”
  • Being able to set a widget as “read only” would be great
  • Media widget needs support for cover art from OpenHAB image item.
  • Media widget needs a couple more controls like volume and power.
  • Use Font Awesome for extra custom icons?

This is what I have it looking like so far.

UPDATE : 1st Dec 2018
Been looking at this again today to see if any updates let me improve my new dashboard…

• Ideally Scene widgets should show the label at the top when the sty;e is “mode”.
  • DONE! : Webcam images would look better “stretched”
  • Play button on media widget doesn’t seem to work
  • Prev/Next buttons on media widget do nothing
  • Decimal values in widgets too big
  • Setting up a garage/gate widget that works for me is still overly complicated involving extra hidden items and rules…
3 Likes

@TommySharp Thanks a lot for sharing this, it is great to see it! Hope to see more updates to the journey.

Oh, and those mockups look great! :slight_smile:

Feel free to use my little list as a priority list for developmennt :wink:

How did you get the camera working?

I created a String item in OpenHAB
String FrontDoorCam “Front Door Cam”
Then I created a rule which sets the String item with the URL:
FrontDoorCam.postUpdate( “http://diskstation.local/cam_stream.php?CamID=1&stream=2” )

My Screen is just black … If I open the URL in a browser I can see my camera stream (mjpeg format).

@michelm What Android device are you using?

I’m having a Google Nexus 9 Tablet with Android 8.1 (LineageOS 15.1) and also a Samsung T580 with Android 7.0.

Ok, I saw some out of memory crashes from this type of device, which is probably what you have reported. This is might be because of camera stream. Will check.

I also find that Android is not very good with computers names… Try your url with an IP address instead…

My Url is already using ip address and looks like follows.
http://192.168.10.55:5000/webapi/SurveillanceStation/videoStreaming.cgi?api=SYNO.SurveillanceStation.VideoStream&version=1&method=Stream&format=mjpeg&_sid=YgZaYuR2Jyetw1630STG415221&camStm=5&cameraId=5

When placing the item on the BasisUI from Openhab as a video item it’s working fine.

Regards,
Michel

@michelm Can you try using still (snapshot) image URL instead of mjpeg stream?
Current camera widget works with still jpeg images (with periodic refresh), so it might not work correctly with mjpeg stream URL.

(mjpeg will be added soon)

Today, I further tried to migrate my legacy version, but this error message unable to connect to Openhab is kind of annoying. See screenshot.
So far I miss the following items compared to legacy version:

• MJPEG Stream for camera
  • Weather Forecast Widget
  • OPENHAB connection not stable

1 Like

Michel, in order to understand if it is the problem with the application or with connection I need more information about your setup such as do you connect locally over WIFI, myopenhab or somehow else? What OH version do you use?
The notification was designed to inform a user of any connectivity issues, since that means that data shown is not current. Our attempt was to reduce ambiguity of what’s happening with the system at any given moment.

Hi Igor,

When I go to “Platforms” I can see that it’s switching between “sync error” and “sync is ON”. Can I somewhere see the reason for sync error?

Regards,
Michel

There should be more detailed errors available in the next release.

UPDATE : 1st Dec 2018
Been looking at this again today to see if any updates let me improve my new dashboard…

• Setting up a garage/gate widget that works for me is still overly complicated involving extra hidden items and rules…

UPDATE : 10th Feb 2019
Took another look at HomeHabit today but no new updates that would fix any of my issues. So for now I’ll be sticking with the legacy version. @igor what’s the plan, I remember you saying you now had someone else on your team but frequency of updates hasn’t changed?

• Ideally Scene widgets should show the label at the top when the style is “mode”.

@TommySharp Thank you for the update, and I really appreciate your ongoing interest!

I would say the main reason for the slow update frequency is the amount of work that performed for the future of the app. Decision to support multiple platforms increased complexity of the project significantly, so we are still behind the curve and working hard to eventually come out on top. Even with multiple team members, resources are still spread thin.
iOS version is also in the works, which required us to re-architect large parts of the system to make both Android and iOS development sustainable in the future.

We hugely appreciate the support from our earliest users and the community at large.

Thanks @igor I’m currently taking a sneaky peek at Home Assistant to see what it offers so good to know that HomeHabit also supports that :wink:

Following items will be addressed in the next release, available on the beta channel soon:

This might be fixed in the next release as well. There is a possible fix even though we couldn’t reproduce it internally:

Great! I look forward to it :slight_smile: