Rotini text sitemap files management

@Cooc1967c As it has been announced last year, the app is moving away from text-based configuration. Manual configuration was very error-prone and it was directly dependent on OH sitemap structure, which was limiting support for other platforms.

Because of complexity and additional/changed functionality, it will not possible to migrate directly from old sitemap. As far as configuration in a text editable format, there is nothing like that at this point. However, there is an idea posted for something similar for community to vote on.

@Cooc1967c Also, can you tell me why do you personally prefer text-based management? Is it easy copy/paste, backup or anything else?

Not OP, but I would say easy to copy/paste, backup, deploy on several tablets, manage together with rest of configuration, and easy to change in multiple places (if e.g. entity/item names change).

Hi @igor,
I didn’t understand that there wouldn’t be manual text configuration files in the new version…
Actually the reason why I chose Rotini (not a free app) over HabPanel (that is free) was easiness of creation of a configuration file using text sitemaps.

To answer your question, the advantages of text based configuration are several:

1. Using text files, it was very easy, once created, to deploy small changes and copy/paste for similar widgets in different pages.
  2. As with this app we are accessing vital functions of the home, it’s wise to set them centrally (and read-only) and distribute them to the tablet.
  3. You can easily create several configuration text files just cloning an existing sitemap and modifying only small parts of the code.
  4. Working with text files simplifies the process if for example you decide to change the name of an item, or a naming convention… Working with graphical widgets instead will mean to open all the widgets and modifying every single item property with the risk of missing some… Also with text files it was easy to change the widget type. Graphically you can’t. You have to delete and recreate.
  5. using text files you can try easily a configuration just removing part of the text and see how it appears.
  6. With the current setup, there no way to backup you config. I can’t imagine to spend time to create a sitemap and not be able to reproduce if anything goes wrong.
  7. And finally, all OH is based on text files configuration.

These are my thoughts obviously and many others will prefer a graphical interface.

Until when the old version will continue to work?
Thanks for your wonderful job.

3 Likes

The coolest feature of text file edited rotini sitemaps was that the text file lays centrally innthebopen hab folder. I just needed to install rotini on my tablets (5) and all mobile phones (4) and just do NOTHING and had ALL my informations and controls on every device in the same look.

Central editing is THE KILLER feature that broight me to use openhab and Rotini. The new version is complicated and using a tablet or phone to build user interfaces is hard for me. And i need to backup every single device now. At this stage it feels like rotini has stepped back to a single device user interface which prevents me from starting to play with it. :frowning:

3 Likes

Actually, I was waiting for Rotini to support portrait mode so I could experiment with the new version of my wall-mounted Galaxy Tab A.

But reading now that no centrally manageable (in the best case text-based) configuration is possible, I really have to look back to Habpanel with a Kiosk mode browser now. At least there, you can experiment with a setup on your main computer, and then “save” back to the server and reload it on the wall-mounted tablet.

My reasons for text-based configuration are very similiar to the ones @Cooc1967c listed two posts up. One thing I did not see in his list is that your client may die (whether it is a tablet or a mobile phone), in that case I really need to just buy a new device and put it onto the wall. If I would have to tell the other persons in my home that “I just have to set up the panel, and it will take me next weekend to do it, and then I am not sure that I will be able to re-create the same setup”, they would forbid me play anymore with mission-critical stuff like the lighting :grin:

Also, see Export/import configuration which would not be possible with client-only storage.

1 Like

I prefer central editing of text files too, like the openhab config.
It is better for mass editing the items, easier to backup and deploy on multiple devices. i my small config, i am using one tablet on the wall an two phones. their are aktually no possibilities to backup these devices.
all my other server stuff is centralizied, my wife didn’t want to config anything on her device. e.g. thats why i am using plex an not kodi for pictures, movies an so on.
smartphones can be broken or stolen, if the config is not centralizied or easy to automate the backup, you are loosing your settings.
As Idea: i whoud like to have an option in the app:

• sitemap mode for users like in this thread or
  • grafical editing mode for users who are pixel oriented :slight_smile:
1 Like

I agree that central configuration plays important role and it is in development plans as I have mentioned earlier. I appreciate everyone providing use cases here, it helps to understand the issue better from the user perspective. I will need to further investigate how high in priority central config across wider user base and it will be prioritized accordingly.
As of now, first release won’t include this feature, but close attention will be paid to the demand from the community.

2 Likes

Hi,
thanks for confirming the central configuration feature.
But will we be able to copy/clone/modify the configuration without using the graphical interface?

thanks

O.k., just as a vote from the community, no central configurability is an absoute no-go for me.

1 Like

Totally agree these guys. Setup seems to be much more complicated than before.
Rebuilding more than 150 widgets on every device is really unmotivating.
For now the new version isn’t interesting for me because of missing phone and widget support and reason mentioned above.
I love the legacy version (just missing thermostat widget) :yum:

Hi Igor, your App ist great and i love the Look and feel. But without text configuration the App is not usable anymore. Like the other guys already said Text config is the fastest and for me best way to deploy the ui to every device in the house. And more than 10 devices are not unusual i think.
Hope you do not remove this important feature!
Thanx for your great work!

1 Like

Update

One of the next releases will have experimental text file configuration support for OpenHAB.
Stay tuned for more info.

1 Like

Experimental text-based configuration is available for OpenHAB in Preview 15.

1 Like

I agree with guys, text-based configuration is more comfortable for me, especially when we talking about complex env

Hi @igor,
any news on the text-based configuration?

thanks

Did you check out the experimental text-based config released few months ago?

I did test the features at the time.
But has it been impemented for the new widgets too?
I was under the impression that it was limited to the original widgets.

@Cooc1967c while all widgets are implemented in text-based config, documentation is lagging behind. The docs should be updated soon and will be kept up to date in the future.

ok. thanks