Help! - Text Based Config

release-beta9

#1

Hello,

I am not sure where I am going wrong. Let me know if you can help me find the error. Homehabit will not load my config.

{
“dashboards”: {
“home”: {
“columns”: 7,
“rows”: 4,
“pages”: [
{
“label”: “Family Room”,
“icon”: “home”,
“widgets”: [
{
“type”: “room”,
“position”: “0-0,3-1”,
“properties”: {
“label”: “Family Room”,
“photo”: {
“binding”: “Backdrop_Living_Room”
},
“elements”: {
“lights”: {
“type”: “switch”,
“icon”: “light”,
“state”: {
“binding”: “Light_Living_Room”
}
},
“motion”: {
“type”: “motion”,
“icon”: “motion”,
“state”: {
“binding”: “FR_Occupancy”
}
},
“temperature”: {
“type”: “temperature”,
“icon”: “temperature”,
“state”: {
“binding”: “FRoomTemp”
}
}
}
}
}
]
},

  {
      "label": "Thermostat",
      "icon": "temperature",
      "widgets": []
    },
    
  
  
  
  
  
  {
      "label": "Bedroom",
      "icon": "bed",
      "widgets": []
    }
  
  ]
}

}
}


Release - Beta 6-9: Recap
#2

I am just going to start from scratch again. :frowning:

A


#3

@Aaron_Wakefield the config that you posted does load for me without an issue (I did replace double quotes though, but assume that just community post thing). Did you manage to get it working? If not, what error you get?


#4

I wish I knew what the issue is for me… I am going to go ahead and continue my new file and then I will post back my experience. I did notice that I have 10 pages and I cannot see them all on the screen. Maybe this is because I am testing on my phone. I will have to try one of my tablets to see if that makes a difference. I have to say though I do use the interface on my phone a lot anyway.


#5

It seems like the problem starts when I add a temperature element to a room widget. I get a cannot load config error. The page loads, but then the app stats to get weird fast as it sort of randomly loads the last good config and such… element code below:

						"temperature": {
									"type": "temperature",
									"icon": "temperature",
									"state": {
										"binding": "FRoomTemp"
									}
								}

#6

Reproduced the issue. The bug is indeed related to processing of widget value as temperature.
Will update when the fix is ready.

Thanks for reporting!


#7

Good stuff, glad to help. I am going guess that as I move from the old to new app I am going to the new through it’s paces. I am going to keep logging the potential bugs or other issues I find.

The other items on my list so far:

  1. Flexibility in setting room widget background (maybe I just don’t understand how to use it)
  2. Need either multiple text configures dashboards or more than 10 pages on the dashboard
  3. Need fully functioning thermostat widget. (A widget mode catering to Ecobee with desiredCool and desiredHeat would be a nice to have)
  4. Generally stability (but this could just be related to the temp element bug we just found)

I will keep compiling my list and maybe we can talk about how they fit into your backlog. I am the chief architect for one of the largest companies in the world and have both technical and product dev experience. I am happy to help any way I can.

Thanks,

A


#8

@Aaron_Wakefield The bug is fixed in Beta 9


#9

Few things about the items on your list:

What would be the most convenient way for you to set a background?

Text-based config currently does support multiple dashboards, is that what you were looking for?

Thermostat widget is in progress. Ecobee-like thermostats is actually what complicates the widget. But it is a high priority item, so should be available soon.


#10

Room Widget: I just think the option of specifying a URL that can point to any publicly available image along with the current option of binding to an item would cover this space. The other possible option would be to allow an image to be uploaded in the widget building process. I do not think the last idea is absolutely necessary, but it’s worth considering.

Right now via text config you are maxed out at 1 dashboard with 10 pages. Maybe I just assumed this is the text based config limit. I ran into the 10 page limit and I still am not at parity with my old Rotini v1 interface. I will elaborate more on this with a detailed feedback post with screenshots and such.

Thermostat Widget:. I get it… I expect you figure out how to make it work over time. As a fellow guy with dev expertise I get that the Ecobee with it’s 2 setpoints and such adds complexity.

Dimmers and color pickers:. These are a bigger problem than I thought. They just take up too much screen space. Need to go back to a click on light and it launches a sub interface. This would save me a tone or work and space. Especially if the widget had a mode where the pop-up would let me adjust the dimming and color options all in one sub interface. This would need to include the same functionality for groups.

Screen refresh:. My tablets don’t seem to match state with openhab. Lights and such will consistently show the wrong state on homehabit. Ex kitchen light is on, but shows as off because it was updated by some other interface. This is true after an hour or so wait between the status change. I think we may need some kind of timed refresh like the old Rotini. Also need a manual refresh option like old Rotini.

Phone Support: going to sub ui’s for dimmers and colors would get us alot closer to phone support again. Which we do need to get back.

Overall: happy with the progress and will keep testing and providing the best feedback I can.

Thanks

A