Refresh is stopped on standby

Hi,

I’m using a Mi Pad 2 as a wallmounted tablet, Rotini is configured as a Launcher now, it was used as a normal App before, the issue is still there.

I am using a Gauge widget to display the current power consumption. (Feature request: Possibility to define min/max manually aswell as the units and a treshold which makes it change color to red) When the tablet switches into standby, it seems like the connection is interrupted which causes rotini to stop refreshing the data. I have to exit rotini every time or force quit in order to get refreshing back up and running.

Data is coming from OpenHAB.

Is there a way to fix this?

Greets Flole

Hi,

i have the same bug, restarting the app helps, but is not a solution.

same issue. I’m wondering if wifi is turning off. This is with home assistant.

I’m also experiencing the app being unable to execute commands like turning a light on and off once it enters this state. This makes it unusable, at least for me. I suggest using a wakelock that can be enabled in the options to make sure wifi stays alive, even though this really impacts battery life.

Question for everyone: does this happen when device is plugged-in (charging) and screen is on or only when it is not plugged-in and screen is off?

I have a wall mount tablet permanently connected to the power. I enabled the mode to always keep the screen on, i think it’s better now but still connection is dropped often. Can’t you just whenever a button is pressed check if the connection is still alive and reconnect if it isn’t? Or even do a periodic check if the device is not sleeping.

I did some further debugging: Sometimes my device looses wifi connectivity for a few seconds, that is probably what makes rotini drop the connection. I wrote a small app myself that allows me to do various remote control tasks like turning the screen on and off and i am using mqtt for that. Whenever the connection is dropped, i made the app try to reconnect until a connection is established again and that works great.

Also i am using nginx, and even though the timeouts are set pretty high, this could cause an issue. I have the timeouts set to 24 hours for now.

Majority of reconnection issues after wifi is dropped should be fixed in the next release.

I still havent gotten the new release, do you have that stepwise rollout thing enabled in the google play dev console? That might explain this…

I got the update yesterday and so far the refreshing issue seems to be fixed, at least for my Power Gauge and my weather widget, including windspeed. However, my light switches which are normal On/Off buttons right now are not updates. Is it maybe because of my lights being dimable and the button is expection ON/OFF but OpenHAB is sending 0-100% values? 0 should be equal to off, everything else equal to on.

Dimmer item should work with Switch widget. Just tested that and it works fine on my tablet.
Can you try to edit those widgets again and re-bind it? Also, when you do that, is bound item name highlighted red by any chance?

Oh the dimmer item works perfectly with that, it’s just that when I change the value on another device it’s not updated. On the same device it works.

Yes, I was also talking about changing it on another device. I will play around with this more.

I just experienced this again: The items all stopped refreshing and there are no longer requests being sent. So this is not fixed yet.

This is still an Issue and I think it can be also reproduced by changing the items file so openhab will reload it (not sure about that though).

However, now the connection is broken again and I am not getting updates on rotini. If i force close and restart, it works normally again. How long do you try to keep the event stream open (or is there no timelimit)? What happens when for example nginx closes the connection after 24 hours (that’s what I have set right now, there should be no need to go higher as it could cause issues with dead connections)?

I know it’s definitely possible to auto reconnect as on the exact same tablet I am running an app I wrote myself which keeps a mqtt connection and allows me to do various remote control tasks (reboot, turn screen on and off…). This is auto reconnecting in case the connection is interrupted. Rotini should be able to do the exact same thing.

@Flole There are definitely still reconnection issues when connection is dropped by server for whatever reason. Earlier release was addressing issues with reconnection after wifi/network change.
I will update if there are any bug fixes or changes, there is no full solution yet.

Thanks for the clarification, I misunderstood it then. I thought this was supposed to be already fixed.

Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Reconnection issue should be fixed in the Preview 23 release.
@Flole please update if you still have that issue.

Unfortunately I am still having that issue. Enabling and disabling sync also makes it reconnect. Is there any debug info I could send you?

Same problem here. After the screensaver comes on, when I touch the screen, all values turned into “–”. And they don’t come back, unless I kill and re-open the app.